Frank H. Mason, Akron industrialist and philanthropist, came to Akron in 1879 and took a job in the mill room of B.F. Goodrich Rubber Works, Akron's first rubber company. He rose through the ranks and, in 1907, was elected vice president. In 1912, when Goodrich and Diamond Rubber Co. merged, he became vice chairman of the board of directors. In September 1910, Akron Public Schools suspended medical inspections in the schools due to lack of funding. Concerned about the curtailment of health services, in 1912 Mason offered to underwrite the cost of employing visiting nurses in the schools for one year. In recognition of his generosity, the Akron Board of Education named the proposed school on Beaver Street the "Frank H. Mason School."
Groundbreaking for new building took place on June 6, 2006.
The new building opened to students on January 22, 2008, and official
dedication took place on February 9, 2008.