School of Practical Nursing

IMPORTANT NEWS
Akron School of Practical Nursing will begin accepting applications for the Fall 2018 class soon.
On July 1, 2018 there will be a Change of Control from Akron Public Schools to Stark State College.
Fall classes will be offered at Stark State College in Akron, located at 755 White Pond Drive.


History of Akron School of Practical Nursing 

In 1951, Worth Howard, executive director of Akron City Hospital, was very conscious of the need for more nurses. He approached the Akron Board of Education about the possibility of meeting the need through vocational education. The program, which was the seventh in the state of Ohio, opened in September 1951 and was approved by the National Association of Practical Nurse Education and Services Inc. It was operated by the Akron Board of Education and with the cooperation of the Akron hospitals. In 1956, the school received approval from the Ohio State Board of Nursing Education and Registration and, in 1976, was accredited by the National League for Nursing. The school was initially located in the Leggett Elementary School building. The school moved to Margaret Park Elementary School, then back to expanded facilities in the Leggett Elementary School building in 1967.  There were 27 students in the first class. In 2009, the Akron School of Practical Nursing was moved into the Erie Island building off Copley Road.  To date, the Akron School of Practical Nursing graduated more than 5,000 practical nurses. The passage rate on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) remains between 92-100%, and the demand for graduates continues to be very high in the health-care community.

For more information on accreditation:

Council on Occupational Education
7840 Roswell Road
Building 300, Suite 325
Atlanta, GA  30350
(770) 396-3898 or (800) 917-2081
http://www.council.org/

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.