Board Bios and Contact Information
Board of Education President
- Term to 12/31/17: Patrick Bravo was sworn in on January 9,2017, as board president. He has served the board since 2012. Bravo had been board vice president during Bruce Alexander's tenure as board president last year. Mr. Bravo is also executive director of the Summit County Land Bank.
Board of Education Vice President; Finance and Capital Management Co-Chair; and Kenmore and Garfield Cluster Liaison
- Term to 12/31/19: Tim Miller was sworn in as vice president January 9, 2017. He is serving his second term with the Akron Board of Education. He is Co-chair of the Finance and Capital Management Committee. Tim is an Akron Public Schools graduate. He graduated from The University of Akron's College of Business Administration with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration/Finance degree. He is the owner/agent of Insurance Service Agency Inc., a Trusted Choice® Independent Insurance Agency located in Akron. He is an elected member of the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) Ohio Leadership Council and sits on its State Legislative Committee. He is a board member of the Cascade Locks Park Association, chairing the Education Committee. He is also active in many other trade associations and charitable nonprofits in Northeast Ohio.
Board of Education member; past president; co-chair Legal Contracts & Board Policy Committee and North High School Cluster Liaison
- Term to 12/31/17: Bruce Alexander is serving his second term with the Akron Board of Education. He completed his year-long term as president at the end of 2106. Bruce is an Akron Public Schools graduate and attended Youngstown State University where he majored in health education with a minor in marketing. Mr. Alexander has been employed at Summit County Juvenile Court for 30 years and has held various positions in the detention facility as detention superintendent, supervisor and detention officer. Also, he has worked as an intake officer and currently is a community probation officer. Mr. Alexander serves as the chair of the Peace, Justice and Equality Education Committee. Bruce Alexander was elected in 2011 to serve on the National School Board Association Council of Urban Boards of Education Steering Committee where he is serving his second term. He was appointed to the Ohio School Board Association Legislative Committee and Urban Networking Committee and is a member of the Ohio Black Caucus. He has worked on various boards and committees throughout the city of Akron and is an advocate for student engagement and academic success. Bruce is also a proud graduate of the Summit County Child and Family Leadership Exchange class of 2004
Board of Education Member; Instructional Policy and Student Achievement Co-Chair; and Firestone Cluster Liaison
- Term to 12/31/17: Lisa Mansfield was elected effective January 2010 and is serving her second term. Mansfield is a third-generation graduate (North High School) of Akron Public Schools and holds a bachelor of arts degree in secondary education from The University of Akron. Mansfield, and high school sweetheart Eric, have three sons attending Akron Public Schools. Currently, Mansfield works for Weathervane Playhouse as the patron services manager and enjoys teaching acting to area children. She has volunteered for many area agencies including CSB Mentoring Mothers, Pregnancy Care and La Leche League.
John R. Otterman
Board of Education Member; Legal, Contracts and Board Policy Co-Chair; and East Cluster Liaison
- Term to 12/31/19: John Otterman was sworn in on January 11, 2016, and is serving his first term with the Akron Board of Education.
Rev. Dr. Curtis T. Walker, Sr.
Board of Education Member; Finance and Capital Management Co-Chair; and Buchtel Cluster Liaison
- Term to 12/31/19: Rev. Dr. Curtis T. Walker, Sr. was first elected effective January 2000 and is serving his fifth term. Rev. Walker is the pastor of St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in Dayton. He came to Akron in 1992 from Montgomery, Ala., where he also served as a pastor.
Board of Education Member; Instructional Policy and Student Achievement Co-Chair; and Ellet Cluster Liaison
- Term to 12/31/17: Debbie Walsh was sworn in on January 11, 2016, and is serving her first term (a two-year term) with the Akron Board of Education.
The Legal, Contracts and Board Policy Development co-chairs monitor legal matters involving the Board in partnership with general counsel; bring all newly created, revised or updated board policies to the board; and assist other board members in creating new policies when called for.
The Instructional Policy and Student Achievement co-chairs monitor to ensure that high quality teaching and learning is taking place in our classrooms and monitor to ensure that our curriculum and instruction department remains effective and innovative.
The Finance and Capital Management co-chairs monitor to ensure that we are operating efficiently and responsibly, serve as a representative on the Board's Joint Board of Review, and monitor the Imagine Akron CLCs' Project.